Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ted video

This TED video presented a couple statements that I believe are so true and that I would like to reflect on.  First, I would like to start with the statement that started off the video: “There are places on Earth, in every country, where, for various reasons, good schools cannot be built and good teachers cannot or don’t want to go...” From personal experience, as I’m getting ready to student teach and soon enter the real world, I keep stating that I want to land myself a job in a good school district.  I would like to be as far away from trouble as possible.   Ideally, I want to end up in a district where I would have no problems.  In reality, however, we know that is impossible.    What is really sad are the places on Earth where there is trouble and the good teachers are needed most, but no one tends to go.  The presenter also made a statement that said:  If children have interest, then education happens.  As a teacher, I feel that it is important to structure your lessons based on the interests of your students.  The students will want to learn the material if they can relate to it.  If it has nothing to do with what they like or what they care about, then it is not going to be worth them learning.  If, however, you can gear your lessons to their interests, then you will be more successful! 

1 comment:

  1. This is what I tuned into, as well, Megan. Find out what they love and guide them as they teach themselves. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete